Sunday, October 2, 2011

Waiting on November

The past few weeks have been harder on me than I care to admit. Time has been ticking by terribly slow, and this is worsened by the fact that my mind seems to be constantly dwelling on my upcoming leave. I have many things to look forward to over leave. Holding my wife in my arms again is high on that list, as is spending half an afternoon throwing the football with the boys. Shaking my Fathers hand and giving my Mom a big hug, is up there as well. I look forward to doing all these things and many more when I get back stateside. But most of all I am looking forward to my first real Father and Son hunt with Hunter my youngest son. Hunter is 11 now and is in his first year of middle school. A time in his life when friends, football, video games, and girls all become more important than dear ole dad. I'll accept this as a phase that happens to all boys and gladly take advantage of him asking me to take him Quail hunting with me this fall.
 

Hunter and I have never made it on a hunt together before. I was supposed to take him a few times on a Turkey hunt, but never got around to it. (Something I plan on remedying this spring) We have attended a few field trials together and we both enjoyed the time spent together. But I just cant wait to share with him my passion for hunting behind a good dog on a cool autumn morning. I hope that he loves the anticipation of walking in on a dogs point and experiencing the thrill and surprise of a covey of Bob's rising at his feet as much as I do. I fondly remember my first hunt with Grandpa and a few of his friends and how special I felt when they treated me just like one of them. I plan to make Hunter feel just as special as Grandpa and his friends did with me. And I sincerely hope that this is the first of many days to come. November just can't get here fast enough.

1 comment: